Now that you have decided to bake your own wedding cake for 300 guests. The baking part was a breeze, decorating may be a bit challenging but fun. But how does one transport a beautifully decorated masterpiece to the wedding location? I recently watched the TV show “Let Them Judge Cake”, where 4 contestants competed to create a 3-foot-tall cake in 7 hours using one of Disney’s Pixar movies as theme. 1 of the entries fell apart during transportation from their station to the cake table it was hard to watch. In that case the contestant obviously lost the challenge. In the case of a wedding cake, much more is at stake.
In any case, it is important that you handle and move the cake properly to say the least, so that it reaches the wedding intact and not in such a condition that the cutting of the cake becomes unnecessary. Here are some simple but important tips:
- The base of the wedding cake should be able to support the weight of the cake. Usually, having a base of three layers of cardboard is adequate support; but if your wedding cake is very big and heavy, you should place an additional base of fibreboard or wood beneath the cake, before moving it.
- If your wedding cake has tiers that are held up by pillars, you need to move the cake without assembling it. Store the separate tiers in cake boxes, which are large enough to hold the tiers, and transport these to the reception venue. Take the pillars and other decorations separately. Once you reach the venue, you can assemble the wedding cake properly.
- Never keep the cake boxes on the seat of the vehicle while transporting. The seats are not level and there is a chance of the boxes shifting, thus ruining the cake inside. Put the boxes on a foam mat, which in turn is placed on a flat surface. This way, the box and the cake inside, will not shift during transportation.
- Wedding cakes that have the tiers stacked on one another can be moved assembled. Transport the cake in a vehicle that is big and high enough to hold the cake comfortably.
- On reaching the wedding venue, do not attempt to carry the cake, no matter how strong you are or how much help you have. Instead, ask the location manager if they can provide you with a cart or a table on wheels, on which to move the wedding cake.
- Move the wedding cake to its designated spot, put any last minute finishing touches, and the wedding cake is ready to go!